Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The move

Yesterday was moving day. The movers arrived at 8:00 AM. The final walk through was scheduled with our landlord later on that day at 7:00 PM. That gave us 11 hours to get things packed up, moved out and the house cleaned. Would we make it in time??

It was a bit hectic, but went really well considering all we had to do. When the movers arrived, Eric and I set the kids in front of the electronic babysitter so that we could get some of our own tasks done. We immediately started cleaning. We all went into hyper drive. By 3:00 pm the house was empty and the only task left was to mop the floors. Sounds easy, right? While I was mopping the floor at around 4:00, it started to rain outside. It was the hardest rain I have ever seen. It was reported that it rained 50 cl in about 15 minutes. I didn't think much of it since we've been seeing a lot of rain these days. At 4:30 I was dumping the last bucket of water outside when I heard a strange dripping noise coming from INSIDE the house. I came into the house to find my kitchen sink spilling over with water that had come up through the drain. It was spilling over onto the floor, creating a river in my kitchen. I started to freak out. I went and got Eric at the neighbors house. We quickly started scooping up the water with a bucket and throwing it outside. We tried a plunger, but that didn't work. We couldn't get in touch with our landlord since his number got packed with the movers. We finally were able to reach him through our real estate agent. He informed us that this has happened before and that we shouldn't worry about it!! Thank goodness our stuff wasn't in the kitchen. A lot of it would have gotten ruined.

We were able to get the mess cleaned up in time for the walk through. It was a nerve racking way to end our stay.

We ended the evening having pizza with our neighbors before heading out to the hotel. It was a long day. I was exhausted. We managed to get everyone in bed by 9:30, including myself.

We are now in Copenhagen. We go out to the new house tomorrow morning. I can't wait to see it. I'll write more when I can, although I'm not sure when we'll have internet access.

2 comments:

smolon said...

Wow....And I thought moving overseas with a dog, a cat, and a child was hard...can't imagine 3 little ones. We at least got to put 2 of them in cargo! : )

Good luck with your adventures in Denmark! Wish we were there with you!!! Call when you get a chance!!

Ellen&Steve said...

Brenda! You need to write children books! You are a great writer!!
Love the stories with adorable pictures. We almost feel like we are there with all of you.....

Enjoyed seeing Eric, Dylan and Bill recently. Wish we could have shared the day with you also! Marcia enjoyed the visit too!

Looks like Denmark is going to be good for you, we are glad for that.

Love your beautiful family pictures with tales, Brenda... Thankyou for sharing them!

We love and miss you,
Aunt Ellen and Uncle Steve